Sunday 28 January 2007

Nostalgia

I took Jake to a skateboard park this morning, and my God how many memories came flooding back. I used to skateboard when I was in my early to mid teens. I can honestly say they were some of the best years of my life. I met so many cool people, made loads of friends, and of course the skating part was excellent. Visiting this skate park today, I was reminded of the times I used to leave the house early Sunday morning, meet up with friends, get the bus into Harrow Bus Station then skate to the skate park in Wealdstone. We used to spend the whole day there, with the odd trip to the newsagent for Grape or Raspberry slush puppies. Lunchtime would see a swarm of skaters descend on the local McDonalds then back to the park for the afternoon. I remember the animosity felt toward the roller skaters... the sight of 10 - 15 skaters bombing through Harrow Shopping precinct... the day trips to other places to see ramps and parks that had built up mythical status through different skate magazines... the magazine R.A.D.
One of my favourite memories was when we heard about this empty swimming pool that was being used by just a few select skaters that knew about it. We set out to find it, using one of the skaters who already skated there as a guide, hopping over fences and wondering if this was some wild goose chase. Finally getting there, and it was like something out of a skaters film with this pool laid out before us. Happy days!
Anyway, I had a few goes on Jake's board this morning... and even though the mind knows what to do, and the spirit is willing, the body doesn't behave like it used to! I must have looked a right t*t. Another case of wishing I could turn the clock back, even for a little while...
Happy Sunday listeners....

No comments: