Monday 29 January 2007

Motivation and Strawberry Milshakes (!)

I can't seem to get started today. Every now and then (probably more often than I'd care to admit) I find that I can't get motivated to work. I have things to do, obviously, but that kick-start of energy you need to get into something doesn't seem to come on days like this. Right now, this very minute, this is where I'd rather be;
In a large, comfy, leather armchair with my feet up on a foot stool. Next to me a small table with a large ice-cold strawberry milkshake, and in my hands a good book. Feeling like this, you can understand how I can't get motivated today!
This may be admitting something slightly weird about myself now - does anyone else have their mood, state-of-mind, attitude changed just by reading a book, as easily as I do? I have been reading Douglas Coupland lately (I just finished "All Families Are Psychotic" and am 60-odd pages into "Shampoo Planet"). I find that when I read his work, I think certain things, feel certain things - but then if I read, say, a Stephen King book (one of my favourite authors) they affect me in entirely different ways. I wondered if it was just me, or if any other listeners have similar experiences? Or am I just a nutter?
Soundtrack of the day: Shack (again!) but this time an album from 1999 - "H.M.S Fable". Also Ray LaMontagne again, but his first album "Trouble".

No comments: