Saturday 13 January 2007

Jinxs - do they exist?

I am a football fan - I support Manchester City. More than once I have been watching my team holding on for a precious draw or winning 1 - 0 when my significant other says (in all innocence according to her!) "Oh, we look like winning this" or "we're drawing, but the other team doesn't look like getting anything". What happens? The other team scores for a 1 - 0 win, or they get TWO goals and my team ends up losing! Usually, within 10 or 15 minutes of the so called 'innocent' comment. In some instances, it has happened in less that 30 seconds!
Today, I was lucky. A good friend of mine came round this afternoon to keep an eye on the goals and results as they came in. He's a QPR fan. My significant other, with about 15 minutes to go, does her usual trick. "A draw at Bolton will be a good result". I was INSTANTLY livid - "No, No, No dont say stuff like that you know what happens!" (expecting a sudden goal against us, so turning out 0 - 0 draw to a 1 - 0 loss). But, she THEN said "QPR winning - that will be a good result won't it?". What happens? In the space of 10 minutes, QPR go from being a goal up to drawing 1 - 1! THEN they get a man sent off. THEN they give away a second goal! Result of the game? 2 - 1 LOSS to QPR!

Now, people have ridiculed me for believing that there is some cosmic force that can affect results like this, just by someone saying the wrong thing. But I have LOTS of examples of this actually happening, so I cannot to anything else but believe in this.

So now I throw this open to my listeners - do you have similar experiences? Or am I being daft? Answers on a post card.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On Saturday I discovered exactly how fast Bad Karma can travel at.

It took 15 minutes to travel along the M40, round the M25 a little way, then up the M1. After taking a stop at Watford Gap services for coffee & doughnuts, the Bad Karma then followed the M18, M62, A63, before finally arriving at the KC stadium halfway thru the second half.
A total of 211 miles - this equates to a mean speed of 844 mph. Something to bear in mind the next time you comment on a sporting event!

NB. Of course, the events on saturday had nothing to do with QPR playing like a bunch of muppets for the 2nd half!