Wednesday 16 May 2007

The worlds a scary place

I watched a Sky plus'd edition of Crimewatch last night. It made the world seem such a nasty place. Stories of killings, beatings, rape, robbery... is it any wonder that society has changed from how it used to be in the 30's 40's and 50's, with people trusting each other and looking out for each other, to now with people looking out for themselves and their own and not giving a toss about other people? There is no respect between people anymore. Watching the program last night, it made me want to lock my family and I away until Jake was a grown man, just to protect him from the world. Its a nasty place out there. There was a story of a man who saw a bus driver being harrased by four people, three of which around 15 or 16 years old. He was a copper in his 50's, and even though he was on his own, he stepped up and decided to put a stop to what was going on. He ended up with a kicking and a broken jaw for his trouble. I mean, if this is the sort of thing that happens when you try and help someone, is it any wonder that people take the "cross over the other side" approach to people in trouble? Im not a hard man, and Im not particularly brave, but I would like to think if I saw someone, especially someone vulnerable, being picked on or in trouble I would step in and help. But where could that leave me? Beaten up? Stabbed? Shot? I wish there was a solution to this, but I think society in general is only ever going to get worse, and I fear for my son and his friends as to what sort of world they are inheriting. Anyway - no real point to the post today, just wanted to sound off.
Soundtrack of the day: "Empire" by Kasabian.

No comments: