Monday 8 October 2007

Strike!

This weekend... City won (3 - 1 at home to Middlesbrough) which was good, but Jake's team lost their first league game of the season, which was NOT good. Apart from that approximately bog all happened. However...
I did hear something on the radio this morning that did get me a little riled... can someone explain how a postal strike is supposed to get the general public on the post office workers side?? I mean, I heard something today on the radio - because there has been a strike for so long, there are loads of undelivered bills and final demands, so people dont know they have these bills and final demands and so are gonna incur further fines and more trouble. So that got me thinking, what do the people on strike hope to achieve? I personally dont feel the compulsion to support the post office workers against whatever problems the post office are inflicting on them - I'm just pissed off that Im not getting my mail through which could contain some very important things. And if something comes through late that I have to respond to, and I end up getting in the shit for it, will the post office workers come help me out? Will they bollocks. I am sorry that these post office workers aren't getting what they want / need etc. - (they're complaining about pay, pensions and job cuts) but inflicting this much inconvenience and potential financial problems on the general public can only make them seem like the bad guys.
I do know, though, that a lot of the people who have gone on strike have done so at the behest of the trade union, and they do not necessarily want to strike themselves (and I know this for a fact, because I play golf with a couple of postmen, and I know one of them gets the right 'ump when he has to strike). So maybe I should be pointing the finger more at the trade union.
You could say the same for the London Underground strikes I suppose... they go on strike because the company is doing something they dont like, the general public suffers, the trade union expects the support of the public. I dont really see how this is supposed to work. Or am I being amazingly dense and / or naive?
Oh, and I know normally I couldn't give two spits for 'the general public' - but when something affects them, and Im a member of that general public, then I do give a stuff. Anyway, please feel free to comment / correct my assumptions / call me dim. Have a good Monday all.

No comments: