Thursday 11 October 2007

Responses please

Someone I know had the good fortune today of finding an extra sum of money in their bank account, that wasn't put there by themselves. The bank had obviously somehow made a mistake and credited the account with too much money (I know, I know, it never happens to me either).

The question I would like responses to is:

Who would keep the money, withdraw it before the bank caught on, and spend it in an orgy of drugs, alcohol and greased up midgets (ok, maybe not all that stuff - just spend it...) and who would tell the bank of their mistake?

Answers on a post card - or a nicely designed comments form you can find by clicking the link below...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must admit, I would be very tempted to just spend it on something that I wouldnt normally spend my money on.

But, I would get too scared that the bank would come and ask for the money back, so I would probably end up leaving it in my account for a while to see if the bank came to claim it back. If they didnt, then I would spend it...I would certainly not tell the bank....Wish that had happened to me...

Charlie Naseweis said...

I believe the law dictates that after a certain period of time has elapsed, the bank wouldn't be able to reclaim the loot, erm I mean money.

If the above is true, then my response would be to keep quiet until that time frame ended.

Anonymous said...

I would whack it into a high interest savings account and leave it as long as possibly - if the bank ask for it back within 6 years, you can give it back and be pleased with the interest. If they don't its yours.

This sorta happened to me - on sending a product back, a company creditted me with £1,700 instead of £170. When I went in to se why my bank-balance wasn;t quite what I was expecting, the girl in the bank was excited as I was when she showed me my mini-statement and I explained what seemed to have happened!!!! 6 years has passed so there's no chance of them finding me - plus I have moved 3 times, changed my name by Deed Poll and now bank in the Caymans to protect my identity ;)

Simon said...

For what its worth, depending on the amount, I'd either withdraw it and spend it, or as the anonymous comment suggested if its a large amount put it in a high interest account and see what happens.