Friday 5 October 2007

Jeans day

Aren't you lucky, two posts in one day.
Its "Jeans For Genes" day at work today when, for a small fee, you are allowed to wear jeans to work. The thing is, you aren't allowed to wear trainers, and you must keep your 'top half' in business attire... so basically you're just replacing your trousers for jeans, and making yourself look silly by having to wear shoes with them. If the company are allowing denim at work, why can't they let you wear what you like with them (within reason of course). It just seems daft to me... its like "OK, you can wear denim, aren't we a forward thinking, relaxed company... but you can't wear anything else that will make you feel relaxed and happy, you must look a tit in blue jeans and shiny black shoes"... please.

Which brings me onto an issue that winds me up a little, although I dont often comment on it. How do women get away with wearing what they want in a so called 'professional' environment, but men have to wear shirts, trousers, shoes? Its not so bad in the winter, as everyone wears things to keep themselves warm, but in the summer women are allowed to wear short skirts, sandles, strappy tops... I mean, some of the things some of the pugly's wear to work reveal far too much flesh, but if a man wanted to wear smart, long, tailored shorts and sandles because it was so hot, he would be hauled up in front of his manager and told in no uncertain terms to go home and get changed. I could really kick off on selective sexual equality and the like now, but maybe thats a topic for another day. Suffice it to say, I dont think its fair that SOME women can get away with looking like cheap tarts at work, when men always have to look professional. Any comments? Lets 'ave it...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My company is pretty relaxed about what we all wear to work, Im currently wearing jeans, a long sleeve top and trainers.

However, I feel that you might think of me as one of those cheap tarts from your office, as in the summer I myself wear skirts, strappy tops and sandals.

The lads in the office, can also wear shorts, polo shirts and sandals too. So maybe it's just your company being mean...

Charlie Naseweis said...

Yeah, my company is quite relaxed about dress code too, but the policy does tend to differ between departments.

Although I was told off one day for wearing my Borat 'mankini' to work - after leaving a 'blemish' on my chair.

Seriously though, I am quite scruffily dressed at work, so if I were to move jobs I would probably have to buy a whole new wardrobe for work.....

Unknown said...

Maybe it's to make up for the inequality of our pay opposed you your pay....