Tuesday 15 September 2009

Tuesdays Headlines

Patrick Swayze dead.

Yes, the iconic star of Dirty Dancing and Roadhouse and Ghost is kaputski. He lost his fight with pancreatic cancer, aged 57. He died with his family at his bedside. I'm not too sure how I feel about this... I mean, I wasn't a fan of any of his big films, and he's not an actor I've really followed the career of. But someone who I follow on Twitter said "It's so weird yet another person I've known my whole life is gone". And I guess that sums it up - most people of my generation would know who Patrick Swayze is, and now we're getting to the age where our heroes are starting to die. It's a sobering thought.

Number One Son enjoys training session with new team

Yes, he trained with the Stockport Vikings last night, and seemed to enjoy it. He started off quite quiet, but that lasted about 10 - 15 minutes, and then he was his normal...er... 'vocal' self! But he looked like he settled in OK, and I think the manager liked what he saw. There was talk of a match this Saturday, so we'll see what happens. Oh, and as I was stood there watching, I was asked to help out another group of blokes who were playing on another pitch (the training took place at a Goals / Powerleague place with multiple 5-a-side astro-turf pitches). They were one short, so dressed in tracksuit trousers and trainers I played with them for 25 minutes or so. Weren't too bad. We won. (Ha!).

Last day in the office for three days

Yes, for the rest of the week I'll be working from home to look after the dog / be there when Jake goes to school / comes home from school. Now, I'm not really allowed to get excited about that, I mean I'm supposed to be working, but when you have no work to do, and you're sat at home with Xbox, DVD... sorry, Blueray player, TV, books... well, use your imagination!

So I'm going training again tonight with Wilmslow Town. Last week, I wasn't very sharp / lacking in fitness / match practice, so this week I really am gonna work my nuts off to make a good impression. The team won on Sunday, as I posted yesterday, so it's going to be hard to force myself into a winning team, but I'm gonna give it my best. But, even if I don't get into the team, I'm enjoying the training anyway.

Have a peaceful Tuesday all.

Soundtrack of the day: I haven't really got one, it's so quiet here there's no need to drown out noise with my MP3 player. Instead, as I'm so quiet, I'll be reading "Generation A" by Douglas Coupland!

Update: Jebus!! Keith Floyd (one of my favorite chefs) has also died... story

2 comments:

Phil Dawson said...

yeah, used to be that so-an-so died or such-an-such but now more often than not, you have heard of the person and prob seen a few of their films or have a couple of their cds.

very scary indeed.

Unknown said...

So, a famous actor/singer/dancer and a celebrity chef have both died.

To be honest, I don't know why people are making usch a fuss; Patrick Swayze was a rubbish cook and Keith Floyd couldn't act, sing or dance for love nor money.