Monday 12 February 2007

Is there such a thing as an anti-cold?

Some of you who are fans of Red Dwarf will recognise this postulation - its from Series 5 episode 4 "Quarantine". Is there such thing as the 'anti-' cold? We all know that the common cold is a virus that attacks our internal systems making us feel like sh*t with sort throat, blocked / runny nose (why is it either one or the other? You either can't breathe, or when you do breathe you shower everyone in snot!) temperature / fever and general miserable, aching, feeling like cr@p.
So I ask, is there the opposite? Do we wake up some mornings having contracted the anti-cold? The reason I ask is because thats what happened to me today. I didn't wake up feeling wonderful, but by the first hour or so in the office I was in a very good mood and feeling good. There is no reason for this, I have not had some good news, or come into some money or anything like that but for some reason I went from the normal Monday morning feeling of boredom, misery, low-grade paranioa to feeling good. The only thing I can think of that would cause this is the anti-cold virus. This is not the only time this has happened to me - it has happened before in the past. To paraphrase Dave Lister from the Red Dwarf episode mentioned "I know what you mean - my life has turned to utter cr@p but I've woken up feeling on top of the world". The Red Dwarf episode then goes on to suggest there are other 'positive' virus's such as Luck, or Sexual Magentism (the second one isn't a virus its a gift that I have been fully endowed with - HA! yeah right). These seem just a little far fetched to me, but the anti-cold I think is something that could really exist.
Soundtrack of the day: Rage Against The Machine.
Comments / thoughts welcome - send them to our usual address...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not sure about anti-colds, but I have come down with a severe dose of man-flu today.

***insert bunged up, sniffly, snotty emoticon here***