Tuesday 5 February 2008

Insomnia SUCKS

I suffer from insomnia. Not as bad as some people no doubt get it, but I get it bad enough and last night was a bad one. I went to bed at about 10.30, read for a while and then nodded off at about 11.00. I was then woken by *cough* 'someone' coming to bed at about midnight, and I then was awake until about 03.30 ish. Now, that doesn't sound too bad when you read that, but believe me lying awake for three and a half hours, unable to switch your brain off, listening to the wind and rain outside (which I sometimes find restful, but not last night) just wanting to sleep is not a nice experience. At first you think, "Oh its OK, I'll just get comfy and I'll nod off soon..." then you realise you've been awake 30 minutes. You then start to get a little worried thinking "God I hope this isn't a bad one" (meanwhile song lyrics and layouts of golf courses and things you wanna say to the wife all run round and round your head), which means you start to worry that "God, I need to sleep, I have to get up in a few hours". This then turns into more restlessness as you realise you can't get comfortable no matter what you try, and you look at the clock and its been an hour and a half now... You get the picture. So this morning, I am tired. I have a cold coming (I can feel it, its already in my nose) and I know that little things that normally wouldn't faze me are gonna be getting under my skin today, so I need to try and remain calm, get through the day and get home. Have a good Tuesday all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now I pop a little antihistamine pill -25 mg, to help in the part of the month (read: hormonal)I would never seem to fully get any deep sleep. I toss and turn, wake up and snuggle down a different way, wait to go back to sleep, check the clock, wait...wait...fall asleep again lightly, dream some crazy ass dream and wake up again 30 minutes later to start it all over again.

I don't know if you couldn't use a yoga class or something to calm your pent up anxieties. Or would taking a yoga class cause more distress?
Here's to finding some help on that end...and sleep tonight.

Mom said...

This is a common problem. I certainly share it with you. I do have some sleeping pills that I use a couple of nights a week. After a couple of insomnic nights I am not a nice person. There are all sorts of meditation and relaxation techniques - none of them work too well for me. Join the insomnics club.