Tuesday 31 March 2009

Why did this site make me nervous?

I stumbled on a site called Omegle. It's a site where you get to chat with a complete stranger, anonymously, one-on-one, in a chat window. You go to their website, hit the "Start A Chat" button, and supposedly you're connected to a stranger to chat to. (I don't know if it's an actual person or just a bot... I didn't find out, as you'll see in a second if you keep reading...)
I logged onto it... hit the button... and was told "You are now connected to a stranger - say hi!"
...and logged off straight away!
I can't really describe why I felt so nervous... but I really didn't want to chat, and I don't think I could ever use this site.
Or would it be like a big step forward for me? Those who know me know I don't like 'people' - the great unwashed public. But this is kind of like a vaccine to this, as its a very small shot of dealing with people I don't know and all their opinions (which are normally wrong).

Do I have a social phobia, or 'social anxiety association'? Possibly. The more I think about it, the more I'm of the opinion I might actually suffer from something along these lines (and not just because I'm a miserable ba$tard... I'm not so much anymore, anyway).

Another problem I can see with this site is it could be used by those mouth breathing monkey scrotums who just get off on abusing people... I can see the transcript now:

"You are now connected with a stranger - say hi!"
YOU: Hi...
Stranger: Hello
YOU: So, this is weird
Stranger: You're weird! hahahahahahahhaha wanker! hahahahahahahah
YOU: I don't think yo
Stranger: Toss! Arse! hahahahah you fickin wierdo you suck hahahahah

You get the point. Usually these people can't work their mouths and fingers at the same time so when they're trying to type out their insults they are usually saying them at the same time so the spelling is usually hit & miss.

There's also the possibility of connecting to a minor (of the opposite sex) and not realising it - I'm not even going to start with all the problems that could cause!

Maybe I'll log onto the site later and give it a go...after 09.00AM, so school will have started and there's less chance of connecting to a 15 year old boy with too much testosterone and hormones and not enough brains... or a 14 year old girl with too much knowledge and not enough sense!

I'll let you know how the experiment goes...

Soundtrack of the day: '808 State' tracks on random...

No comments: