Friday 1 October 2010

Insert title here...

Because I couldn't think of one.
A very frustrating couple of days as far as Jake is concerned this week. I won't go into all the gory details but because of the seperation I don't see Jake as often (obviously). The problem is, I want the time we have together to be nice. Chatting about good stuff, chillin' out etc. But the past few days all I've done is tell him off. I hate it.
I've heard / read literature that says it's important not to over compensate during a seperation and that's something I agree with. I want to keep things as normal as possible for Jake during this difficult time for him and that means disciplining him when he deserves it. But when I'm only seeing him for short bursts it gives less time for both discipline AND making-up-having-fun. I can't forgo the whole telling off thing for the sake of a nice time here, as that would send the wrong message and make things harder in the long run.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining as such. I have a wonderful son who I love more than my own life, but when I have days like the past few it's hard to remember that. In fact he's handled this situation a lot better than me. I'm immensely proud.
I have him here tonight and most of the day tomorrow, and then he's back to his mums until Tuesday night. While he's away I will record a cover of "The Fountainhead" by The Bluetones. That's a promise. Have a nice weekend.

2 comments:

jojohedgehog said...

ah it is so difficult, but your doing the right thing as horrible as it feels at the time. I hope that you have a good day with him tomorrow while he is still there x

Unknown said...

Hang in there, you're doing the right thing and it's good that you can see that. Tough as it is sometimes, it could be worse if you do the opposite.