Monday 8 November 2010

A proper post-working week weekend

Yes that was a mouthful wasn't it, sorry.
As I've not had Jake all week I was looking forward to seeing him this weekend. On Saturday we had a lazy morning, then went to play basketball at a nearby park with a hoop. It's his latest 'thing' and apparantly he's captain of his class / house / college team. So we went and played some one on one before lunch. After lunch he just wanted to hang out with his friends so I didn't see him for a few hours.
Sunday was nice, we had a lazy morning again, then more basketball, then a walk to the shops and back then he had Stagecoach (his performing arts school). After that I decided to take him to Pizza Hut for tea for a change which was nice. One thing I learnt however - DON'T use the salad bit where you can buy an eat-as-much-as-you-like bowl and gorge on green stuff. Kids are given free reign by their parents to go get their own salad and you can guess what happens when 5, 6, and 7 year olds are let loose to fling salad around, try bits and spit it out etc. Not a pretty sight.
Now I'm back at work I remember how quick weekends go past. It only feels like half an hour ago I was sat at this desk. I have a feeling I will get on OK here, if I can sort out the journey home. It took me 35 minutes this morning which is more than bearable, but on Friday it took me an hour and a half again to get home. That sucks. I'm going to try a slightly different route tonight so fingers crossed.
This week - Manchester derby on Wednesday night, Jake's parents evening on Thursday (I can't go - I can't get back from here in time so his mum will go and let me know how he's got on) and that's about it. More nonsense soon.

Update: I've re-discovered the small joy of live web cams (no, not those sort). When using these things before the network response hasn't been brilliant and so there was a lot of lag, kept on freezing / buffering etc. but just now I went to the BBC Radio 1 live web cam to watch the character "Chloe" from 24. Very quickly it becomes strangely addictive - knowing you're watching someone do something live. I know this is the sort of attraction that things like Big Brother played on and even though I couldn't stand it, I do get the appeal for some people.
So there we go... when I'm on lunch or on a quiet period I'll be investigating some more live web cams... (no, not those sort!)

No comments: