Monday 13 July 2009

Depart-mental football match

Now normally I don't really do much with the people in my department. I keep myself to myself, work here, and that's about it. However, last week, while I was out of the office (so could not squash this idea in its infancy) it was suggested that the blokes in the I.S department have a 6-a-side football match. Everyone jumped on the idea, like a group of winos finding a stash of meths, and before I knew it the teams had been decided and I was playing.
I tried to get out of it (asking the good lady "Do you need me here on Monday night? Do you?? Please?!?") but in the end I had no choice but to agree. So, after months away, I'm coming back out of retirement. Will my body cope? Will I still look ridiculous with my paunch running out in front of me? Only one way to find out...
So tonight, a gathering of sweaty, unfit, overweight (some of us) blokes will turn up and kick seven shades of shit out of each other. Well, maybe it won't be that bad. The problem as far as I can see it is there are only actually three 'footballers' - me, a young bloke who plays regularly twice / three times a week at a fairly high standard, and another bloke closer to my age who plays once / twice a week. The rest of the men in our department don't really play, or have never played, football. So it should be rather amusing. And despite myself, I'm actually looking forward to it.
So far this morning, some of the non-players have come up to me looking a little pale and sweaty and said "So, ready for tonight?" (one even did it at 7.30 this morning!).
No, I'm not 'ready for tonight' - I won't be ready until about 5 minutes before kick off. I think a lot of the non-players are going to spend the day geeing themselves up. But for me, I won't be ready to 'turn it on' until someone says "right, lets get started".
I'll give a full report tomorrow on how it went.

6 comments:

Colin said...

I bet you show them up.... You always made me look like a Donkey with your your silky skills. I can can still recall the time you nut megged me 3 times in training once.. Every time it was NUTS!!!!!

Enjoy the game....

P.S Are you around Thurs evening regarding baby clothes..

Unknown said...

Good luck.

By the way, you're not overweight. I'm overweight. You're not. End of.

Simon said...

Ha. Girdles are wonderful things. Great to see you at the weekend, sorry we couldn't chat for longer!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is it will be a very funny site indeed! Put LV in goal!!
steven f

Simon said...

LV is gonna be on the pitch so we can all kick lumps outta him - even his team mates wanna lamp him

Anonymous said...

I wish I could come and watch so that I could throw something at him too!

steven f