Wednesday 7 July 2010

So have I learned anything?

See, the thing is, it's only with hindsight that you can spot the mistakes you shouldn't be making.
And by then, it usually too late.

If I had to give any advice to my friends / colleagues / readers of this blog who are in a relationship I would say this: Talk to each other.

So many problems in a relationship can be solved if they are talked out. Yes, I know, it's easy to just say "talk to each other" like it's the most natural thing in the world but sometimes I KNOW it's the last thing in the world you might feel like doing when things are going bad. You look at your partner and think "I do not want to be anywhere near you right now" or "it is utterly pointless to try and talk to you about this" but please... try. One of you, swallow your pride, take a deep breath and just ask to talk. It can save so much pain, confusion, anger, frustration.

I'm not saying that that would have saved our marriage but I do know that there were times when either one of us could have just talked and things may have been different. But we didn't. And so they aren't.

Take care people... it's a scary world out there.

No comments: